Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Life should be exactly like a box of Compartes chocolates

Most girls get earrings and cute tops for their birthdays. Sometimes, if their significant others are morons, they get gym memberships or vacuum cleaners. Me, I get food.

And I couldn’t be happier about it.

This past birthday, I received the following from my dear friends: A bag of Little Flower Candy Company sea salt caramels, dark and milk chocolate turtles from Chocolate Soldier, a box of Berger Cookies from Baltimore, a Green & Black organic hazelnut and currant dark chocolate bar, and, the piece de résistance, a box of Compartes truffles from my friend Erin (Dishwasher Ready).

Erin knows that I’m a slave for chocolate – in particular high quality chocolate like the handcrafted truffles at Compartes. I’ve been known to make mad dashes to the chic Brentwood chocolatier during my lunch breaks for one of their honey peanut butter sea salt truffles. (Maybe one of their smoked salt truffles too…) As such, I was clearly more than a little delighted when Erin slid the telling brown box across the table at my party at Bar*Food nearly three weeks ago. (I may have reacted like one of the “woo girls” on “How I Met Your Mother” – “Wooooo!”)

The best part about receiving a box of Compartes truffles (aside from the most obvious reason – not having to pay for it), is the surprise element. When I pick out chocolate for myself, I stick to safe flavors that I know I like – hazelnut, tiramisu, fleur de sel caramel, etc. I enjoy the results, but don’t open myself up to the opportunity to be tantalized by something new and different.

The box of truffles that Erin selected for me allowed me the chance to be the adventurous eater that – despite my best efforts with foie gras – I’m not. Mixed in with my favorites (the aforementioned honey peanut butter sea salt, smoked salt and fleur de sel caramel) were funky flavors that I found just as appealing, if not more appealing, than my standbys. The lemongrass, jasmine tea, caramelized banana curry, and blackberry sage truffles delighted my palate and senses. I couldn’t help but close my eyes when savoring one so that I could concentrate on the distinct flavor combinations that somehow worked perfectly when embraced by the premium dark chocolate. Eating a Compartes truffle didn’t just satisfy my chocolate cravings (or pull the plug on a bad mood); it gave me a unique experience every time I reached my hand into the box.

For the past two weeks, I’ve felt a little bit like Forest Gump – I never knew exactly what I was going to get when I bit into each piece of chocolate. Of course, when the box of chocolates is from Compartes, not knowing isn’t a liability – it’s the best part.


Compartes Chocolatier
912 South Barrington Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90049
Phone: (310) 826-3380

12 comments:

Anna A. said...

What a beautiful box! I want the one that looks like a disco ball (will live vicariously through you). Yummy treats make the best gifts, amen tall sista friend!

Jenn said...

Oh, I just had to go and look. Dang, those chocolates look so delectable. My sweet tooth is nudging me to drive down to LA just to purchase some.

Gastronomer said...

Cashmere sweaters are nice and all, but edible presents are THE BEST! And they're environmentally sounds ;-) Win. Win!

Diana said...

Anna - I actually have no idea what flavor the disco ball one was! I couldn't find it in the guide on their website! It was super delish though -- whatever it was! :)

Jenn - I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do make the drive!

Cathy - Haha, I like the way you think.

weezermonkey said...

So pretty! Too bad that box would give me hives galore.

Heather said...

wow! the chocolate looks amazing! it's so artistic! we have a place near me, in the del ray neighborhood of alexandria, va that's called artfully chocolate. going there for dinner and to the dairy godmother for frozen custard is one of my favorite dinner dates!!

Diana said...

Sharon - I don't really know what to say to that. I'm sorry. :(

Heather - Oh my gosh, if I'm ever in your neck of the woods, we totally must meet there for a dinner/dessert date! Sounds amazing!

Anna A. said...

OMG I love your banner! How did you do that?

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

Those are the prettiest chocolates I've ever seen! I love the fancy flavors!

Ashley said...

woop woop. customization!

Nicole said...

i just ordered my in laws a bunch of different things to be shipped to them as a thank you gift after reading this blog! when i placed the order i gave you a shout out, i hope that was ok. (the website asks where/how you heard of them and so i mentioned your blog...)

:) thanks, i am sure my chocoholic in laws will LOVE the items that i ordered!

Diana said...

Nicole - That makes me so happy! I hope your in-laws enjoy them! You should get yourself a box too!