Friday, October 30, 2009

Skor Bar Coffee Cake: The perfect mid-morning pick-me-up

The teacher’s lounge at an elementary school is a dangerous place for dieters. My mom, a first grade teacher in Garden Grove, is constantly telling me about the treats that her coworkers bring in on a regular basis.

“Today someone brought donuts!” She’ll exclaim, as giddy as the students she teaches. (Her sweet tooth is almost as potent as mine.)

I typically roll my eyes and say, “Great, mom,” before changing the subject to something more important – like what I’m making for dinner or how hard “thigh” was during my Bar Method class that night. As a 9 to 5 office dweller, I don’t quite understand how necessary that mid-morning burst of sugar is for getting through a day of educating rugrats with short attention spans.

As much as my mom loves her raised glazed donuts, her favorite pick-me-up from the teacher’s lounge is actually the Skor Bar Coffee Cake one of her former colleagues used to make on special occasions. My mom enjoyed the cake so much that she eventually got the recipe so she could make it for my brothers and me at home. It was an instant favorite in our house – especially when it was still warm and gooey from the oven.

Today, the Skor Bar Coffee Cake is my go-to recipe when I need an easy crowd-pleasing treat for a party or office celebration. It’s not hard to see why everyone loves this cake – it contains a pound of brown sugar and six Skor candy bars. Paula Deen would certainly approve, but I’m not sure any nutritionist would go near the thing.

Regardless, when insulin levels get low, the Skor Bar Coffee Cake will come through every time. Just don’t feed it to the rugrats – they won’t just be bouncing off the walls, they’ll be bouncing off the roof.

Skor Bar Coffee Cake

1 lb dark brown sugar
2 cups flour
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
6 Skor (or Heath) bars, broken into pieces
1 cup of milk (I used skim)
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a fork, blend the dark brown sugar with the flour and softened cube of butter. Set aside 1 cup of the crumb mixture for the topping.

To rest of flour/sugar mixture, add the milk, egg, baking soda and vanilla. Gently fold together the ingredients until well-combined and then pour into ungreased 9 x 13 pan. Top with crumb mixture and then finish with Heath bar pieces.


Bake for 30 to 40 minutes (mine was down at 35 minutes). Test for doneness with a toothpick.

10 comments:

Esi said...

Well, it certainly sounds sweet. I don't think I have ever had a Skor bar. Is it toffee?

Jenn said...

Sugar and candy bars. Nothing beats that combo. lol. That looks really good though. I could go for a piece right now. I had a piece of one the other day on set and it was so dry. Barely one bite and I couldn't finish it. I like the idea of putting a chocolate bar into cake, too. That give me an idea.

yutjangsah said...

I love that u used skim milk. I don't do any isometric exercises - u canask my inner thighs and they'd agree but ijust may make this treat. It sounds divine!

Diana said...

Esi - Yep Skor bar is chocolate covered toffee! My roommate had never had them either! He had a grand time munching on my leftover candy. :)

Jenn - This cake is anything but dry! I made it on Sunday and didn't serve it until Tuesday morning and it was still as moist as can be!

Sook - It's what I had on hand! You should definitely try the cake - it's super easy to put together and is shivers down the back good.

Anna A. said...

I'm scared if I made this and didn't take it some where to share I'd eat the whole thing within 2 days. Dangerous. Sign me up and sign my thighs up for Bar method.

Futile Sniffer said...

Dear D to the B,

All this baked goods make me wish I either

a) was your roommate; or
b) worked at your office

Seriously. I wanted pumpkin anything so bad after your previous post, but now... now I want Skor bar coffee cakes and coffee in the morning.

Yum!

Dani said...

Can't wait to try out this recipe-I love skor bar and coffee cake!

Elra said...

I trust your mom, it must be pretty delicious.

Heather said...

WOW. that sounds amazing! i loooooove brown sugar, so a pound of it sounds good to me!

Marie said...

Used to looove Skor bars as a kid, but haven't had one in a long time! Thanks for the reminder, this coffee cake sounds like it'd be perfect for the holidays!